Don’t Snooze your Alarms: It's Cleaning Day
A good night's sleep is often measured with the benefits of a quality mattress. It is such a great addition to have in your home in order to maximize comfort and get a good night sleep. Quality beds and mattresses come with quality assurance. So when you buy from SleepX, you get exactly what you paid for. I hope that this blog answers why the maintenance of your mattress should be non-negotiable.
The instances where you’ve heard that the quality of sleep is being impacted by the changing weather conditions are all true. However, when it’s cold outside, you’re sleeping better at night. But does a mattress have anything to do with it? You must be nodding your head now.
A quality mattress is an investment. It's something that will not just protect your back as well as your budget. And once you get the perfect mattress, you need to understand the nitty-gritty of how to protect them. Let’s find out.
1. Use Mattress Protection
Using a mattress protector is a no-brainer to guard against dirt, spills, and normal wear and tear. A water-resistant mattress protector keeps the sides pristine and the best part is that they're comfortable and prolong the life of your mattress.
2. Give It a Bath
While we don’t recommend washing it yourself, there are plenty of professionals out there who can get the job done. We recommend contacting your local mattress cleaning services and scheduling a convenient home visit.
3. Keep It Smelling Fresh
To keep odors in check, air out the mattress by freeing it from the sheets and opening a few windows every now and then. For serious smelly situations, consider sprinkling baking soda on the cover, then vacuuming it away before putting the sheets back on.
4. Keep Out Dust and Allergies with Fitted Sheets
Use fitted sheets by SleepX to protect your mattress from dust, dirt, and dead skin cells. This will help you ensure that dust mites don’t find a new home.
5. Keep Allergies at Bay
If you’re sleeping on an old mattress, you’ll find yourself waking up with allergies often. That’s not fun. Dust mites are usually the reason for this, and sometimes, a hypoallergenic and antibacterial cover or a memory foam mattress is all you need.
6. Rotate Your Mattress
Along with regular cleaning, periodically rotate your mattress head-to-foot (180°) every six months to make sure it wears evenly.
Mattress protection is vital for good health and a good night's sleep. As important as your mattress is for supporting your body during sleep, it's equally important to protect it from stains and other unwanted wear and tear over time. Mattress protectors by SleepX are a great way to accomplish that goal.
In the world of home products, mattress protectors tend to be one of the most tedious task to buy. They're a necessity for good sleep hygiene and for cleaning ease, but there are hundreds of brands and dozens of different variables that consumers need to consider before buying them. On top of all that, mattress warranties can make or break your decision as well.
Now that we’ve covered the ways to protect a mattress. Let's talk about the cleaning methods that you can work on to keep your mattress last longer.
- Gather your cleaning supplies: Pick a vacuum, Dish soap, Detergent, Baking soda, Cleaning cloth, and Water.
- Strip off the bedding accessories and wash them all off: Washing all the bedding in hot water will help get rid of any dust mites.
- Vacuum the mattress: Clean off all the edges that might have hidden dirt.
- Spot the mattress clean: Never soak your mattress or apply water directly to it. All you need to do is spot cleaning. Spray the cleaner onto a clean white cloth, and then blot the stained area with the cloth.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the mattress: If you can't put your mattress out in the sun and fresh air, then baking soda is your savior. Sprinkle a layer over the entire top of the mattress and leave it overnight. It will break down the acid and absorb any remaining moisture or odor. The longer you can leave baking soda on your mattress, the better cleaning for your mattress!
- Vacuum the mattress again: Once the baking soda has worked its magic, thoroughly vacuum it up.
- Flip the mattress: Now that side one is spotless, flip the mattress and repeat steps 1-5 so both sides are equally fresh and clean. This “flipping” should definitely be a regular exercise.
- Cover the mattress with a mattress protector: Now that you have a fresh and clean mattress, you now need a mattress protector. This will make cleaning easier in the future and protect from spills, dirt, and other unpleasantries like dirt bugs.
- Keep out dust with a fitted sheet: Using fitted sheets that are regularly washed and keeping the area around the mattress clean, should protect it from any unpleasantries.
By calling attention to these variables and considering them objectively, we will hopefully steer you toward a quality mattress protector that also provides great value to your sleep.
Always listen to your body and learn to understand your sleep cycles. Stay cozy and comfy in every season with the comfiest mattresses from SleepX.